BY VIZIO CONSULTING INC.
In the era of digital transformation, analytics is experiencing a tectonic shift. In a hyper-connected world, data has become a strategic asset, and analytics is the new kingmaker. The ability of the digital leaders to derive data-driven insights, make real-time decisions, and take immediate action, is elevating their market capitalization to new heights. SAP offers its customers through RISE with SAP, the opportunity to move with a business transformation as a service to the cloud. For BW customers, this means SAP BW to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud. SAP positions SAP Data Warehouse Cloud as the strategic target solution for Data Warehousing in the public cloud, with SAP BW/4HANA Private Cloud Edition (PCE) as an option to start the transition.
SAP HANA as SQL Data Warehousing
SAP Data Warehousing Cloud the capabilities to extend your HANA 2.0 / HANA Cloud – SAP HANA for SQL data warehousing solution implementation to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud in a hybrid fashion.
- Compute and data store: SAP HANA database is the primary data store and computes engine. Of course, DW implementations might leverage secondary data stores and compute sources.
- Data Ingest accessing and importing of source data is done with the Smart Data Integration (SDI), Smart Data Streaming (SDS), and Smart Data Access (SDA). They support different ways of data ingestion, but are similar or the same in use, with the primary purpose to provide data connectivity to and from the SAP HANA platform.
- Data Design: Enterprise Architect Designer. Where in the classic SQL DW you would use SAP Power Designer to model your DW, EA Designer is the browser-based DW modeler that integrates with the SAP HANA platform.
- Data Development: Web IDE with the DW Foundation add-on. The Web IDE app is where developers will spend most of their time, as activities like data definition, data transformation, scheduling, and data preview are all done from here.
SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is supporting the ABAP-Adapter to connect, access, and replicate data from ABAP-managed on-premises Systems. The ABAP-Adapter is capable to connect to the S/4HANA & BW/4HANA Data Dictionary and objects and artifacts like ABAP Tables by Application Hierarchy and table names, Extractors, and Service APIs. The following integration is supported for BW/4HANA & S/4HANA ABAP Dictionary objects & structures from an SAP Data Warehouse Cloud.
- Federated access (Remote) – simply connect to the BW/4HANA & S/4HANA objects and trigger SAP Data Warehouse Cloud to create a remote table, integrate the remote table structure into an SAP Data Warehouse Cloud Model. No data management (extract & persist the data) is required on the SAP Data Warehouse Cloud side of the house.
- Replicated Snapshot – Transition data access from federated access into SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local data persistency/table, by executing a data load job to insert the dataset from the remote object into the SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local data persistency/table.
- Replicated Realtime – SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is also leveraging the technical services for some of the deployed BW/4HANA ABAP Dictionary objects to enable Real-time data replication to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local persistency/table. Real-time replication is enabled to support BW/4HANA DSO Objects, tables hosting a Primary Key and SAPI’s hosting a Primary Key, and S/4HANA ABAP CDS-Views, SAPI’s hosting a Primary Key.
SAP BW Bridge
The SAP BW bridge enables ABAP-based data extraction and staging capabilities within SAP Data Warehouse Cloud. With SAP BW bridge, customers can implement data extraction and staging scenarios up to the Composite Provider.
The SAP BW bridge environment is primarily intended for ODP-based source systems. Non-SAP sources will be connected directly to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP BW sources will be converted to the SAP BW bridge environment using Conversion Tools, including the SAP BW queries.
The value of SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is recognized by many of SAP’s existing data warehousing customers. SAP BW bridge helps to accelerate the transition to cloud data warehousing while protecting previous, and new implementation investments in the cloud. This enables the integration of on-premises SAP Business Suite data with trusted connectivity, and semantic richness and also enables organizations to rapidly innovate on SAP BW data with an open, unified, data and analytics service in the cloud.
Reach out to our SAC experts for Consulting & End User Training Programs.